AppearanceShinya has dark, brown hair that is parted on both sides and is light skinned. While larger in size to that of Hinomaru, his body is actually very strong due to his constant training.
He is a sumo fanatic, to the point that he would meticulously build a ring in the school yard after the dojo is taken over by delinquents. But, as the only
member of the sumo club before Hinomaru joined him, he is extremely timid, and scared of confronting bullies as he is often outnumbered. This also reflects his preference to fight in team competitions rather than individual battles.
However, after going pro, he became much more serious and rough in manner, stopping Tonbokiri from hurting someone else and not interacting with Onimaru directly, as he sees him as a rival and intends to act that way. However, he still shows some happiness when his former best friend wins.
Due to his great fundamentals, he has strong loins and legs. However, he loses often to Hinomaru due to his high center of gravity, making Hinomaru easy to throw him down. But against Sanada, who proactively fought off delinquents, Ozeki's defensive mindset helped him outlast Sanada, hitting the ground a split-second after Sanada. His endurance is often underestimated.
District Preliminary arc
Sumo Recruitment arc
- His blood type is O.
- His name, Ozeki, is also a rank in sumo below Yokozuna. Whether he actually became one remains to be seen.
- According to Gojō Reina, he has a fantastic singing voice, even better than Otegine Tadashi, who had already recorded a CD.
- According to his profile, his skin is surprisingly soft, like mochi.
- He ranked 6th in the popularity poll
- His hobbies include keeping tropical fish as pets, eating desserts and building scale models, especially castles.
- Despite him being the only person weighing over 100kg at the beginning of the anime, he's a remarkably light eater. He can barely finish a large bowl of rice at buffet. However, when the team is ordered to eat to gain weight under Tsuji's orders, he still obliged. Instead, he prefers desserts.